Gordon behind our house by the huge snow drift

Saturday, March 12, 2011

BREAKFAST FRIED RICE

The best thing about making Pho, is the left-overs the next day.  All my veg were already prepped from yesterday so this morning it was nothing to make some yummy fried rice.  I also had some zucchini and summer squash left over from making the ratatouille from earlier in the week.  Rice  for breakfast is not something that is common in the US
My Stepmother Linda, who is half Japanese, used to make rice with raw egg yolk and dried shrimp for breakfast, which in my youth seemed a bit extreme ... I really love it now and eat it a couple times a year...  I've Americanized a version of  it to be more palatable for my kids... Inara loves breakfast rice plain with just fried rice and egg... she calls it Eggy Mice..

I made my version this morning with all the left-overs from the night before but it is extremely versatile... you can add sausage, egg and cheese for a breakfast casserole or eat it with Asian veg for a vitamin packed breakfast.

Ingredients

2 cups cooked rice (white, brown, both are good)
2 tbs olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup soaked, sliced shitake mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped zucchini or summer squash
1 cup chopped nappa cabbage
2 chopped green onions
1 diced baby sweet pepper
1 cup diced extra firm silken tofu
2-3 tbs chopped cilantro
salt and black pepper

Heat oil in a skillet and toss in the mushrooms and the rice, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, and stir fry for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat until mushrooms brown and rice starts to get brown and crispy... add the rest of the ingredients and toss for an additional 3-5 minutes... taste for seasoning... I don't use soy sauce in breakfast rice, but you can if you want, just omit the salt and use soy sauce instead.... if I'm making true fried rice I would use soy sauce, but since my breakfast rice usually has egg and sausage instead of tofu and veg I skip the soy.

2 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of rice for breakfast, but it actually sounds good. BTW, Linda just friended me on Facebook and it took me awhile to realize who she was.

    ReplyDelete